[FQP] K4KG/m

Georgek5kg at aol.com Georgek5kg at aol.com
Sun May 5 14:32:33 PDT 2013

Call: K4KG/M
Operator(s): K5KG VE7ZO
Station: K4KG

Class: M/S  Mixed LP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 20

40:
20:
15:
10:
--------------------
Total:  2491   319  CW Mults =  79  Ph Mults = 56  Total Score = 1,431,000

Club: Florida  Contest Group

Comments:

This was the 9th season that we have  activated K4KG/m in the FQP and it
was by
far the smoothest and most  productive.  In this year's running, we achieved
our personal bests for  Q's, mults, and counties activated.

Our mobile was the same as previous  years with a few small enhancements.
Except for the small trailer we haul,  the components that convert the
Toyota
Highlander into our mobile contest  station are neatly stored away by
George in
his Siesta Key garage.  It  takes about 1/2 day to assemble the pieces and
then
a couple of hours to fine  tune and road test.  A 5-band Force 12 Sigma 5
vertical dipole sits in  the middle of the towed trailer allowing us to
switch
quickly between  20/15/10.   This year we also had ham sticks switchable
for 40M
and  20M on the vehicle roof that provided needed 20M antenna redundancy
and
allowed us to do some signal comparison between the antennas.  We  ran a K3
and logged with WinTest.  WinTest is bullet proof for logging,  however
there is no FQP module - we used the TxQP module - so  multipliers
are recorded on paper as we go.  (We have inquired  about the possibility of
having an FQP module developed for WinTest, but it  doesn't seem likely that
it will happen.)

Our published route of 53  counties was achieved relatively easily thanks in
part to lack of heavy  traffic and road construction.   We had a small
cloud of
love bugs  show up on the way to Polk County on Saturday morning but
fortunately, that  was the last we saw of these critters for the rest of the
weekend.   Weather was sunny and mild.

Operating this contest is just plain  fun.  Conditions this year were better
than any in recent memory with a  choice of three bands at any given time
and
10M likely being open more than  we knew.  We heard stations on 10M but were
unable to raise any response  in the FQP mobile window except for I4IKW on
Sunday afternoon.    15M featured strong signals into EU and an easy path
to the
west coast.   20M stayed open so long that we delayed our move to 40M on
Saturday
night  till the last few hours, so our apologies to the GA, SC and AL ops.
 Along
with the great domestic operators, it was a pleasure to consistently  work
DX on
15M both on phone and cw.  A special thanks as always to  those ops that
took
the time to dust off their mikes and give us a SSB QSO  and multiplier.
(Once
we work one SSB multiplier, then we can leave  everyone alone and
concentrate
more heavily on rate.)  Great to see  consistent SP, DL and I activity with
special acknowledgment to LY5A who  many times moved us to 15 CW/SSB and 20
CW/SSB and finished up with 74 total  Q's.   K0HC was the overall leader
deftly switching between SSB and  CW to amass 86 Q's.  Bob, VE3KZ managed to
work us 52 times, a great  effort considering he was CW only.

Memorable Q's included  JI3MJK who provided us with our first JA QSO (twice)
ever, former Floridian  KH2/N2NL, VK2CZ on 15 SSB, and a number of Russian
and
Ukrainian stations who  were able to break through the pile ups.

QSO totals were as  follows:
K0HC    86
LY5A     74
K9NW    67
K3WW    53
WA3HAE   53
K9CT    52
VE3KZ   52
K0JPL    47
K9PG    46
W9IU     46
K0RC    44
VE9AA   34
AA1AR    26
DL3GA   25

Kudos to this fine team who made the 2013 FQP  a possibility, and will
continue
to work until the final scores have been  calculated, and the write up has
been
posted.

K1TO - FQP log  checking, production of raw line scores, stats and
charts, and the final  write up
K8NZ - Keying of hand-written logs
WC4E - Conversion of raw  line scores, printing certificates, labels, and
certificate mailing
K9ES -  Management of FQP plaque sponsorships, plaque production  and
distribution
WB4OMM, N4PJ, N4LZ - 1x1 data processing and mailing of  1x1 award
certificates
WD4AHZ - Management of FQP web site, mailing list  and assists with
getting logs through the robot
WF3C - Organizes 1x1 calls  and collection of submitted photos
WI4GHK - Editing of FQP write up into its  final form
KP4TR - translation of FQP rules into Spanish
N5KO &  N5TR - IT support of robot and web hosting
Plaque Sponsors - Who fund the  cost of the Plaque Program
FQP participants - Who make cash donations with  their entries to help
defray
expenses
Florida Contest Group - Covers the  vast majority of contest expenses
K4OJ (SK) - Chief FQP Cheerleader who  continues to watch over us

73, George, K5KG & Jim,  VE7ZO

George  Wagner, K5KG
Sarasota, FL
941-400-1960  cell