[FQP] 2012 FLQP - K0RC Score and soap

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Sun Apr 29 20:05:28 PDT 2012

  Florida QSO PARTY Score Summary Sheet

        Start Date : 2012-04-28

     CallSign Used : K0RC
       Operator(s) : K0RC

Operator Category : SINGLE-OP ASSISTED
              Band : ALL
             Power : HIGH
              Mode : MIXED
  Default Exchange : MN

         Club/Team : Minnesota Wireless Assn
          Software : N1MM Logger V12.4.1

         Band  Mode  QSOs    Pts  Sec
            7  CW      45      90    0
            7  LSB      2      2    0
           14  CW     383     766   66
           14  USB     63      63   30
           21  CW      16      32    1
           21  USB     18      18    7
        Total  Both   527     971  104

             Score : 100,984

             Hours : 18.0

               Rig : IC-756 Pro III, IC-2KL @ 300 Watts

          Antennas : HyGain TH-11DX @ 70' and a 40m vertical wire dipole

           Soapbox : This year (2012) the added attraction to the
Florida QSO Party was the "Spelling Bee" which consisted of 1x1 call
sign stations, each with a suffix to help spell out FLORIDA QSO PARTY.
This added another challenge to the event for the first time in Florida.
I didn't know how difficult this would be, having to find and work the
14 stations. In reality, I worked all of them and logged this
"mini-sweep" on both CW and phone during the first day of the contest.

My second and third goals were to work the 67 county sweep and try to
accomplish this on the first day. I fell one county short of the single
day sweep. I got the last county (Calhoun) in the log on schedule Sunday
morning, followed by 4 "back up" QSOs later in the day. If my log
survives cross-checking, this will be the fifth FLQP sweep I have made.
I am way short of making a double sweep (CW + Phone) with only 37
counties worked on SSB.

Propagation was decent and provided the normal RF pipeline between our
states, especially toward dusk on 15m and 20m. I found 15m was open
during the day but was not as active as 20m. Fifteen meters added 34
QSOs for the log. I checked 10m a couple times but never heard any
stations. The 40m band seemed to be late in opening on Saturday evening.
The 20m stations started to thin out but were not yet workable on 40m.
When the RF path finally "engaged", I found the signals to be stronger
on the vertical wire dipole compared to the Telrex single element at 65'
even though the vertical picked up a little more background noise.

I added an unplanned goal toward the end of the contest. The QSO Points
were approaching the 100K mark so this helped push me to keep on top of
all the mobiles. They added about 200 points to the score with each new
county they entered. Some of the mobiles were "revisiting" counties I
had already worked them in before, thus adding some suspense to the
quest. The QSO Points were advancing slowly. It was going to be a
photo-finish ending. I did make it over the 100K mark by 4 QSOs but
that's not much of a cushion to stay there after log processing!

I had only one station confuse my call sign as KØRF on CW. I never heard
Chuck over the weekend so that must have been a "best guess" of who was
calling the FL station. We got the call sign straightened out quickly.
But there was a different twist from this end. Both myself and Pat, KØPC
would be calling mobile stations at the same time. There might have been
a little confusion about these similar calls in the beginning, but after
a while it was like playing leap-frog to see which one of us would be
picked out of the pileup first. I enjoyed this "RF partnership" with
Pat. Dick, NØIM, another MWA club member mentioned he was in some of the
same pileups. But his QTH near Duluth is about 120 miles to the north
and off the back corner of my yagi so I never heard him.

There are a number of attractions that draw me to the event each year. I
find the FLQP "fast paced". Another thing is there is enough activity to
keep things "hopping" both days. (It certainly helps to have a large
population to draw from!) All the mobile operators are top-notched and
play an important role in the event. I enjoy the high speed CW
exchanges. The "mini band plan" is excellent and helps keep stations
from landing on top of each other when they cannot hear each other. And
personally, my wife is a native Floridian, born in Ocala. I feel like I
get a few kudos when she calls me for lunch and I can tell her how many
counties (and name drop some from the area she grew up) I have worked so
far!

Thanks for another great one this year!

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN