[FQP] [FCG] FQP Countdown Begins at N4EEB

Georgek5kg at aol.com Georgek5kg at aol.com
Mon Apr 23 17:52:42 PDT 2012

GL to the Transgonder team.  Don't get too wick'd.

73, George

George  Wagner, K5KG
Sarasota, FL
941-400-1960 cell

In a message dated 4/23/2012 6:31:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
john.bayne at earthlink.net writes:

At 2100Z  23 APR 12 - the countdown clock started at N4EEB/M headquarters
with the  traditional unsealing of the Hamstick storage canister.  This
cylindrical  congregated tube, typically stored for a year in the N.E. corner of
the (MSS)  Mobile Staging Structure (garage)- serves to product these
delicately tuned  instruments during the year.  When the protective hood was
removed at  2110Z, the sticks were found in good repair, one still vibrating
slightly from  last year's Hardee County pileup.  Words were said, and the
traditional  team snack of Tostitos, Nutella and Mayonnaise was enjoyed by  all.

Tomorrow, the MOP (Mobile Operating Platform)retrofit begins by  first
assuring that all critical fluids are inspected and/or replaced, and  that the
four BF Goodrich Energy Transfer Devices are at FQP  pressurization.  Once
the all clear is given, the RF deck will be  installed in the aft cargo
compartment.

Unfortunately, the FLLR  (Forward Looking Lovebug Repellent) system
experiment has failed and will not  be installed on the MOP this year.  The idea
was to project a hologram of  Madonna in front of the windshield, thus scaring
off anything in the vehicle's  path, but when the image was projected, it
caused various species of wildlife  to commit suicide by running in front of
the vehicle thus becoming more of a  problem than the potential lovebugs
would be.

The setup will basically  be the same as last year, with a few borrowed
ideas gleaned from a lone  surviving photo plate of Red's 1911 FQP mobile setup
that was saved from the  great flood of '25.

The only new technology being employed is an  Auto-Wicking Transgonder kit
that I just completed.  The idea was taken  from an old issue of QST
addressing the advantages of "Noise Mode"  communciations.  It occurred to me that
many of the back roads along the  FQP route are plagued with QRN.  In
auto-wick PASSIVE mode, the noise is  removed from the coax prior to the first RX
stage and stored in a capacitor  bank.  At the end of the FQP, the noise can
simply be released back into  the atmosphere by unscrewing the top of the
caps.

In ACTIVE mode, the  Transgonder senses the unwanted "signal" peaks between
the ambient RF noise  and modulates the noise with a quasi-BFO and presents
it to the  operator.  Testing this feature was an eye opener.  I had a
friend  hook up a QRP transmitter to a dummy load and begin transmitting
alternating  "dits and dahs" at five watts.  I listed on the my IC-7000 with the
Transgonder in ACTIVE mode as my friend slowly reduced the transmitter
power.  When his watt meter indicated zero watts output, I made note that  the
noise in my receiver was a solid S-7 with no interfering signals  detected!
If any of the other mobiles would like me to modify your rigs,  bring them
over and I will start work immediately.

Unfortunately with  all that is going on here, I won't have time to post
additional updates.   I look forward to working everyone in the FQP and
meeting some of you on the  road as usual. Please drive safe.  NOTHING is worth
getting hurt  over.

Vy 73

John and Tracy
Team  N4EEB/M