[FQP] FQP 2009 from Italy

Claudio Veroli claudio.veroli at tin.it
Thu Apr 30 15:28:44 PDT 2009

Hi all,
       this year it was my fourth FQP, and when I got my 2008 certificate,
just few weeks before the 2009 edition, I promise myself to plan a serious
effort for this year (year of the QSO party). All was ready on Saturday
afternoon, but when I reached the top of the hill of Monte Capra (IR4X
station) and tried to turn on the station, no electric power supply. I tried
to understand what it was happened. Also a close cellular phone repeater was
out of order for the luck of power and an electric power generator was
activated.
So I decided to call the Electric Company. It was at 20z. The 25th of April
is our Indipendence Day  here in Italy, a national holiday. Fortunatly after
only one hour a couple of guys of the Electric Company reached Monte Capra
and after checking all the switches they noticed that the electric cables
were cut off through the wood. So around midnight they decided to repair the
cables. They worked in the dark wood getting down , repairing the cables and
finally around 1 AM(2300z)  I was able to turn on the station. Whow...!!!
Anyway after missing 7 hours of good 20 meters conditions, my seriuous FQP
was compromised. Only a few low signals on 20 meters, some mobile as W4AN
N4EEB, N4KK from /SUW, /HAM than I decided to move on 40. Great signals also
from the mobile stations on my 3elem full size beam @ 22meters.
Worked N4KK NF4A K1SA NN4TO K4KG K4OJ KN4Y NO5W  from several counties.
42 CW QSO and 11 SSB qsos till 0159z (04AM local).

Searching and working the mobile stations from different counties is really
a thriller.
Thank you so much for moving through the orange state. Still is in my eyes
the long highway 1 driving to Key West or the Alligator way (41??) to Naples
and the Sunset Beach on Treasure Island. Amazing landscape. So I guess it is
pure fun to drive through the state enjoying radio  pileups and amazing
views.

Sunday I can started only at 1700z. Conditions were very poor on 20 and
nothing on 15.
Only after 19z signals increased and almost every mobile station was
workable here.

Final is
40  11ph 42cw 37c
20   5ph 75cw 27c