[FQP] [FCG] FQP/M again

Nzharps at aol.com Nzharps at aol.com
Tue Apr 28 12:00:22 PDT 2009

Hi Ed,

Guess what we have is a difference of perspective. My installation is the
simplest possible for the FQP (two mag mounted hamstics on a minivan) and is
 only setup for use during that weekend. Otherwise all gear stays in the
house or  garage. It is the only time each year that I operate from a mobile.

Before moving to FL, I operated several times in the OhQP as a  mobile and
was forced by the rules, and my very competitive nature, to  incorporate 80m
into my operating strategy. I did not like the idea  of taking the time to
stop, switch antennas and continue..this interruption  always seemed to
detract from what was otherwise an enjoyable operating  event.

Making 80m "optional" is not really "optional" for those people who  are
hard core (I include myself in that category). Once 80/75 becomes  part of the
rules and has an effect on scoring, mobile teams will have to add  that to
their arsenal. I for one will not welcome the additional time and  expense
to add another band to my totally temporary setup.

Perhaps I've been spoiled by the 40/20 activity of the FQP in recent years.
 Things will get really complicated when (or perhaps I should say IF), the
sunspots ever return and we have to start making choices between 10, 15, 20
and  40.  When that day returns, I don't think we'll be talking about
adding 80m to the FQP.

73/OJ,

Ron, K8NZ

In a message dated 4/28/2009 1:51:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,