[FQP] W8MJ FQP

Kenneth Meier w8mj at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 30 14:09:04 PDT 2007

Florida QSO Party

Call: W8MJ
Operator(s): W8MJ
Station: W8MJ

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 20
Radios: SO2R

   40:  205     56
   20:  259    264
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  464    320  CW Mults = 67  Ph Mults = 67  Total Score = 334,464

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This year going into FQP there were reports of a solar disturbance
taking place on Friday evening, and going through the weekend.  You would think that
would definitely have an effect on activity and signals.  However, I thought
the activity this past weekend in FQP was exceptional.  I thought the
mobile activity was the best I have ever seen it since my involvement in FQP.
While there were a few mobile cancelations schedule to be on that were not
able to be, there certainly was not a lack of mobile activity.  There was
plenty of it, and my personal opinion it helped catapult the instate activity as
well. Compared to last year the in state activity seemed to be up more this
year.

I figured it was important to hit the first day extremely hard given
the solar disturbance, and work has many FL stations as possible. You never know
what the 2nd day will be like, but I ended up working it hard the entire
weekend.  The activity kept me going.  As I mentioned already, the mobile activity
was exceptional, the best that I have seen to date.

Right from the beginning I began moving people from fixed stations SSB
to CW to work, and was pleasantly surprised at the number of stations that were
willing to QSY.  I want to give a big thanks to all the mobile activity,
especially the mixed mobiles for all of there efforts and there willingness to change
band modes when asked.  Going from CW to SSB as a mobile is not easy, but
done right it really works out.  K4KG, N4PN, W4AN, NF4A, and AD8J seem to have the
master plan on doing this. They would quickly QSY to work you and then go back
to CW. For all the out-of-state stations like myself trying to work both modes
this really helps trying to get the sweep both ways. Kudos's to KC4HW for
giving me my county sweep in CW, the last one was Oka. And to K4KG for giving me
Gla for the sweep on phone.

The band conditions on twenty did not seem too bad given the solar
disturbances.  At times the mobile signals seem weak and at other times
were ok. At times it took a numerous attempts to get through, while at other
times I would get answered on the first call.  One thing that did occur is
twenty shutting down early in evening the first day.  Forty played extremely
well and helped make up for early close on twenty.  Twenty played well the 2nd
day until the last hour when Forty was much better. The mobile activity kept you
pretty busy the entire weekend.   I was pretty well spent when this one was
over.

  Congrats to K5YAA and VE3DX on big scores, I am sure there will be
others as well. Thanks for all the q's and the qsy's.

Over all it was a tremendous year in FQP given band conditions where
they are at.  Who would expect huge scores like this at this band cycle?  Hats
off to another great year by the Florida Contest Group.

Additional Information:

Uniques 261

Main Rig Q's 397
2nd Rig Q's 387

Mobiles & Rovers Worked

N4PN(54), K4KG (54), W4AN (35), N4KK (34), NF4A (33), W4SAA (32), KI4TG
(27), K4OJ (27), NO5W (26), AD8J (25), KN4Y (19), W4F (18), W5WMU (10), N4EEB
(8), AD4Z (8), N4OO (7), K2CIB (6), N1XC (6), K1RQ (5), KC4HW (5), W4AWP
(3).

73's Ken W8MJ