[FQP] N4M/m results

K1to at aol.com K1to at aol.com
Sun May 21 19:45:27 PDT 2006

N4M (K8NZ, K1TO)

LP MS Mobile - ALL CW
(Hamsticks on van roof, IC-746, hand keying/logging/speaker -
       big TU to K8NZ for supplying the rig/ants/van)

44 counties (used the N4TO/m route of the past few yrs)

2662 QSOs after dupes (40-308, 20-2342, 15-12)
66 Overall Mults (18 DX, 4 VE, 44 States - missed AL/SC/ND/MT/ID/AK)
DX = 5B 9A CU DL F G HA HK I LA LY OK PA UA UR V3 VP2E YU
Overall Score = 702,768  (see below for individual county numbers)

As hard as we tried, we couldn't get the distinctive N4TO chirp to appear,
so we had an automatic 10% handicap b4 we even started.  ;<)

Rate was about 10% down from the N4TO operation last year.  Even
the top hours were about 10% down.  I think all it means is that the
out-of-staters had more mobiles to track and were just spread thinner
across the band.  Another very strong factor is the wx up north.  Last
year saw heavy snow in W8, forcing many to stay indoors.  This year was
the opposite in much of the Midwest, reducing their time away from the
weekend chores.  Also, many mentioned the VU4 operations, either that
they spent time chasing them or that the pileups encroached on the FQP
frequencies.

PAL was a rough county in more than one way.  We coined the phrase
"Rodeo Radio" as we bounced all over rte 98 and other county "roads."
QRN levels hit S9+10 at points in PAL.  Also, a detour routed us way
east of where we planned to be, hugging the lake.

Pleased that the 1x1 call seemed to be well received (although one
prominent contester commented negatively on our choice).  QSL via K8NZ
with SASE, pse.

Did make 12 Qs on 15 after persisting, but as others have stated,
the activity stayed on 20 during the day and activity levels just
didn't warrant a long stay on 15.

Top QTH worked was ON with 259, followed very closely by MI with 253.  Quite
a tribute to the Contest Club Ontario and Mad River RC who both have really
played a major part in the FQP for years.

Only /m heard was W1NN who we thought was going the opposite way in IDR.
(Had the camera poised to take an in-flight shot, but must've missed Hal!)
K4J got there later, as did AD8J, so it looks like at least 4 mobiles hit
IDR late Sunday.  Somebody told us in the early afternoon that IDR was the
one they had left for a sweep.  Thanks to those who made DAD a heckuva lot
easier this year than last.

Seeing some nice big out-of-state numbers and encouraging words, despite
the generally poor condx, in a quick review of 3830.  Thanks to the mobiles
for enduring the gas prices to get out in force and ensure the sweeps were
again possible.   And thanks also to the hundreds who stayed home to enjoy
it as well (sometimes, it seems like the mobiles get *too* much attention -
hi).
Great FCG participation in our own contest -- way to go, guys and gals!!

Hit lots of rain Sat up in the NE FL area, then one shower Sunday late.
Rain caused the 20M ant to mistune, but the internal tuner compensated fine.

Love bugs encountered in a few counties (love is literally in the air).
Did not enjoy the QRM from the pileup for one or more of the DXpeditions.

Also struggled on occasion with some home folks sitting in the mobile window.

Have seen a lot of incoming comments about this topic.  Curious to hear
whether folks think the mobile windows are properly placed now.  How was
the QRM from the RTTY contest on 40 CW? (that was the main reason for
sliding the window so low)  Also open for ideas on policing them -- I saw
a comment that the SSB windows were often ignored.

Very interested also in comparative signal reports among the mobiles and
fixed stations.  Did anyone keep any notes?

** Really sorry about the confusion on DC as a mult.  Bottom line is that
** our FQP team did not consider it specifically and so for this year,
** DC counts as MD.  We will likely change that rule going forward so that
** DC is counted as a separate mult.

Lots of OJs exchanged.  I'm sure the flurry of pre-FQP publicity from K4EJ
had folks thinking of Jim, too, and hopefully helped to increase activity
for everyone's benefit.

      QSO   MULT    MIN RATE SCORE
ALC 56     26   27   124    5824
BAK 56     24   19   177    5376
BRA 33     22   15   132    2904
CHA 64     27   32   120    6912
CIT 74     30   35   127    8880
CLA 32     14   15   128    1792
CLM 45     23   16   169    4140
CLR 84     32   34   148    10752
DES 57     20   35   98 4560
DIX 64     28   24   160    7168
DUV 75     29   39   115    8700
FLG 59     25   38   93 5900
GIL 54     28   23   141    6048
GLA 84     31   32   158    10416
HAR 107  38 51   126    16264
HEN 86     35   42   123    12040
HER 29     19   14   124    2204
HIG 86     30   26   198    10320
HIL 40     23   20   120    3680
IDR 91     39   38   144    14196
LAF 53     27   17   187    5724
LAK 38     20   23   99 3040
LEE 69     29   34   122    8004
LEV 91     33   43   127    12012
MAO 40     22   12   200    3520
MRT 82     32   32   154    10496
MTE 44     26   29   91 4576
NAS 27     20   14   116    2160
OKE 93     38   35   159    14136
ORA 25     19   17   88 1900
OSC 86     33   31   166    11352
PAL 101  38 50   121    15352
PAS 36     23   16   135    3312
PIN 46     26   15   184    4784
POL 95     34   34   168    12920
PUT 66     26   34   116    6864
SAR 39     21   30   78 3276
SEM 40     23   20   120    3680
STJ 36     19   19   114    2736
STL 85     35   35   146    11900
SUM 32     20   15   128    2560
SUW 55     26   17   194    5720
UNI 54     24   25   130    5184
VOL 53     28   28   114    5936

TOT 2662    66   1200 133   702768

TU & 73, Dan, K1TO and Ron, K8NZ

P.S.  Quick reminder that the log deadline approaches.
Logs welcomed at logs at floridaqsoparty.org