[FQP] Mobile lapto power

k8bb at comcast.net k8bb at comcast.net
Fri Apr 28 20:39:46 PDT 2006

While mobiling in the Michigan and Ohio QSO parties, I have experienced
excellent results using a laptops that run directly from 12v, without the
need for voltage converters.

My standard QP logging computer is a Compaq (LTE Elite 486/40) that has a
direct 12v jack right on the back. For GPS navigation, I use an IBM ThinkPad
(Pentium something) that runs from 15VDC. With the engine running, the Jeep
puts out 13.8-14.1VDC and the computer has always been happy running
directly from the lighter, with no converters at all.

Very quiet ...