[FQP] N4M prelim totals

K1to at aol.com K1to at aol.com
Sun Apr 23 20:04:15 PDT 2006

N4M (K8NZ, K1TO)
LP Mobile (Hamsticks on van roof, IC-746, hand keying/logging - big TU to
K8NZ for supplying the rig/ants/van)
44 counties (used the N4TO/m route of the past few yrs and made sure to stay
in each county for at least 15 mins)
2699 QSOs (b4 dupes, of course) - all CW
No clue on the mult (missed AL, SC, ND, MT, ID, AK, VE4568, VO for US/VE and
missed many DX mults that are often worked)

As hard as we tried, we couldn't get the distinctive chirp to appear, so we
had an automatic 10% handicap b4 we even started.  ;<)

PAL was a rough county in more than one way.  We coined the phrase "Rodeo
Radio" as we bounced all over rte 98 and other county "roads."  QRN levels hit
S9+10 at points in PAL.  Also, a detour routed us way east of where we planned
to be, hugging the lake.

Pleased that the 1x1 call seemed to be well received.  Only one solitary
request for QSL info!

Did make a few Qs on 15 this afternoon after persisting, but as others have
stated, the activity stayed on 20 during the day and activity levels just
didn't warrant a long stay on 15.

Only /m heard was W1NN who was going the opposite way in IDR today.  (Had the
camera poised to take an in-flight shot, but must've missed Hal!)  K4J got
there later, as did AD8J, so it looks like at least 4 mobiles hit IDR late
Sunday.  Somebody told us in the early afternoon that IDR was the one they had left
for a sweep.

Seeing some nice big out-of-state numbers and encouraging words, despite the
generally poor condx, in a quick review of 3830.  Thanks to the mobiles for
enduring the gas prices to get out in force and ensure the sweeps were again
possible.   And thanks also to the hundreds who stayed home to enjoy it as well
(sometimes, it seems like the mobiles get *too* much attention - hi).  Great
FCG participation in our own contest -- way to go, guys and gals!!

Hit lots of rain Sat up in the NE FL area, then one shower today late.  Rain
caused the 20M ant to mistune, but the internal tuner compensated fine.  Love
bugs encountered in a few counties (love is literally in the air).  Did not
enjoy the QRM from the pileup for one or more of the DXpeditions.  Also
struggled with some home folks sitting in the mobile window.

Curious to hear whether folks think the mobile windows are properly placed
now.  How was the QRM from the RTTY contest on 40 CW? (that was the main reason
for sliding the window so low)  Also open for ideas on policing them -- I saw
a comment that the SSB windows were often ignored.

Very interested also in comparative signal reports among the mobiles and
fixed stations.  Did anyone keep any notes?  If not, what do you recall while it's
still fresh on your mind?

Lots of OJs exchanged.  I'm sure the flurry of pre-FQP publicity from K4EJ
had folks thinking of Jim, too, and hopefully helped to increase activity for
everyone's benefit.

TU & 73, Dan, K1TO