[FQP] Maritime Mobiling on Cruise Ship

W4ZW w4zw at comcast.net
Wed Mar 23 08:00:13 PST 2005

We're taking the kids on another cruise (groan) for spring break and this
time I thought I might take along one of my portables (I have  ICOM706, KNW
TS50, or TS570SG).  Haven't decided about the radio yet, but leaning toward
the 570SG since it is complete except for power (filters, DSP, keyer, AT,
etc) but I'm trying to come up with a good antenna.  I've even considered
buying the Yaesu 857D/ATAS120, but think I'll use what I have.  I wanted to
get on a bit for WPX.

Any suggestions?  I have an Outbacker and a Hustler, but they are both
rather long and unwieldy.  Anyone ever try wires?

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, FL
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"