[FQP]K4FQP/m Soapbox

Georgek5kg at aol.com Georgek5kg at aol.com
Wed Apr 30 22:57:06 CDT 2003

K4FQP/m

Operators:  George K5KG and Jim VE7ZO

       Well, it certainly has been a treat for me to participate as an FCG
mobile and experience what I had head so much about.  It is a great contest
and as it seems to have gained the critical mass that makes the fun and
participation grow exponentially.  Congratulations to the FCG for the
promotion and execution of this terrific event.

Strategy:

    Although most of our contesting pleasure is derived from the grace and
subtleties of the CW mode, George and I decided that we would attempt to
balance phone activity for overall score and to provide opportunity for out
of state operators to work some of the rarer counties on a different mode.
We ended up making Q's on all bands but on 10M and 40M, it was CW only.  By
far the most successful run on SSB was by George on 20M Sunday morning,
perhaps because the band had not become crowded enough to overwhelm our puny
signal.  As conditions and activity grew throughout the day, any effort to
sustain runs on phone was thwarted by base stations, although a few diligent
ops did find us.  During these excursions, we never got the sense that we
were being spotted in the same way as on CW, and the rates reflected that.
As a final note, in spite of the excellent publicity and recognition factor
that the K4FQP call sign generates, it is a mouthful on phone and was
reminiscent of having to use S581I during an earlier time.  We yearned for
the simplicity of the N4 Trembling Oscillator call sign being used solely on
CW.

Equipment:

       It is hard not to say too many good things about the organizational
ability and commitment of George to providing a first rate station.  His DX
experience has ensured that there are multiple back ups and contingency plans
for each emergency anticipated.  We had three selectable verticals mounted on
the roof of the Explorer with one position being either 10M or 40M.  A laptop
with external keyboard was used for logging with WriteLog driving an ICOM 756
Pro-II.  The station ran well during the contest with a couple of antenna
glitches only as the verticals on 40M and 15M would lose resonance
periodically.  By far the biggest hindrance was the S6 noise from the DC/DC
converter for the laptop that we never did wholly cure on 15M.  In order to
hear properly on that band, the converter had to be disconnected and we
occasionally stopped the car to dig out the weak ones.  There were a number
of multipliers lost in that noise, in particular KH6D?
Routing:

       The severe storms on Friday night and Saturday morning centered in the
lower half of the state caused us to reverse our operating plans on day 1 to
the northern half.  Luckily, this did not conflict directly with the planned
activities of the other declared mobile operations.  We started in PAS and
did a clockwise pass over the top of the state with a day one objective of 27
counties but ultimately ended with only 24.  Things were going swimmingly
until in the darkness of Palatka we missed a turn and ended up backtracking
in the woods of Flagler and Volusia for several hours.  We tried to brighten
up overnight in a Holiday Inn Express but Deltona was a long way from the
next day start south of Osceola.  Therefore the clockwise sweep of the
southern half of the state was compromised the next day as well and we
activated 17 of the planned 21 counties.  Although we ended up spending more
extended time in some counties than we originally planned, we had decent
rates, especially on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon, so I'm doubtful
that the score would have changed appreciably had we achieved the overall
county goals.

       The two highlights of the trip occurred in the southern part of the
state.  One was when we parked on the top of the levee overlooking Lake
Okeechobee, shut the car off and worked 15M.  It was seldom quiet during the
trip and this respite was rare.  The second was the trip into Monroe county
and moving gators around so that we could turn the vehicle around.  Kinda
neat for someone from Northern Ontario.

       Did I mention the last two hours were a gas?

Thanks again,   Jim VE7ZO

Essential Numbers:

Total QSO's: 1849  (CW 1657, SSB 192)
Total Mults:   119    (CW - 71, SSB - 48)
Estimated Score:  834,428

                   10 M           15M             20M               40M
            CW  SSB   CW  SSB      CW  SSB       CW  SSB
QSO's      7       0     86      16    1467    176         97      0

County Summary:

Cty     CW      SSB  Rate Q/hr

Saturday
PAS     13              156