[Cwo] 2014 CW Open Award Structure

D Faklis dfaklis at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 30 04:50:09 PST 2014

Let's have a discussion on a new award structure that can be designed to further enhance international participation in CWO.

The current award structure is as follows:

1. Trophy for 1st place in each session.
2. Plaque for 1st place in each power level in each session
3. Trophy for overall combined score of all three sessions.
4. Plaque for 1st place for each power level in the combined score group.
Note: if the same entrant wins multiple awards, they may be combined.

In fact, in 2013, ICOM made the decision to combine awards.  One trophy and six plaques were issued.

The CWO continues to grow both inside and outside of NA, but the current award structure favors the region with the most participation.  Perhaps we can come up with a cost-efficient method to incentivize amateurs in all ITU Regions 1, 2, and 3.

Given three regions, three power levels, and three sessions, along with a budget that might be constant relative to 2013, we'll likely need to form a compromise.  Please circulate comments on this topic on this reflector.  Thanks!

73, Dean, NW2K