[Cwo] [Fwd: Re: proposed CW Open IV changes]

k6rb at baymoon.com k6rb at baymoon.com
Mon Sep 16 17:48:42 PDT 2013

Tokyo Ham Fair.

And what about August 23?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless
4G LTE Smartphone

-------- Original message --------

From: k6rb at baymoon.com

Date: 09/16/2013 5:49 PM (GMT-05:00)

To: Jim

Cc: k6rb at baymoon.com,cwo at kkn.net

Subject: RE: [Cwo] [Fwd: Re: proposed CW Open IV changes]

Boy, there's a strong endorsement :-). I have to respectfully
disagree with Hank. On Sep 6 we conflict IN TIME with no one!!! So, if
someone who plans to do Sprint feels a need to drink lots of Gatorade, do
plenty of pushups, and practice some Zen meditation beforehand, that
person may not show up for one session (session 3). Or may only do 1 or 2
hours of session 3.

On Sep 20, we conflict with SAC over two full sessions,
concurrently!!!

On Sep 27, we conflict with TQP over two full sessions,
concurrently!!!

Can we get real, here? We've been holding CW Open on weekends where
many US people travel (Labor Day). We've even gone head-to-head with an RU
and JA contest. Now, we're fretting over a situation where we do not
conflict AT ALL???

If there was another Saturday where we had no conflicts, of course I
would opt for that. But, here we have a choice of three: one with no time
conflicts, one with 8 hours of conflict; and another one with 8 hours of
conflict.

In fact, let me say that I'm in favor, under the present
circumstances, in doing CW Open on Sep 6 AND NOT adjusting the session 3
time at all. I disagree with Al that shifting the time will make any
difference. Someone who is going to blow off session 3 to prepare for
Sprint is going to do it unless there's 8 hours difference. Why should we
change our times?

CW Sprint used to bang into a phone or RTTY contest, at one point,
and 40 meters was completely unusable. Sure, we grumbled, but we did it,
anyway. Here, there will be no QRM with Sprint.

I know I'm not going to win a popularity contest with Hank (even
though he's my favorite exuberant skier), but we are between a rock and
hard place, here, and I just don't see the conflict-less situation with
Sprint having the same gravitas as the others.

So, Jim, I disagree without equivocation.

Rob K6RB

I agree with Hank, I suppose.