[Cwo] Log submission process

Don Greenbaum don at aurumtel.com
Sat May 14 13:09:08 PDT 2011

Bruce Horn, WA7BNM, wrote the NCJ web submit routine.  I also have the CQP php upload routine that I can modify.  Both scoop up cabrillo files and dump them in an directory on a server.  This is not a problem.

But, we have been  talking to Matt Thomas about using the CQP routine for checking.   If he can take the input we get off the Bruce Horn uploads, (they are cabrillo) then I'll ask Bruce for a copy of his upload process.

Since we are relying on Matt for the log checking we should wait for his input.   Writing a PHP routine to get the logs off an upload page is a piece of cake.  BUT, before that happens, we need to know what Matt wants.

Don
N1DG

At 02:39 PM 5/14/2011, Alan Maenchen wrote:
>Don,
>
>Here's what I think needs to happen in the log submission process.  Of course, I'm open to ideas. A lot of this is obvious, but I'll say it anyway.
>
>The top level process goes something like this:
>1) Receive logs via web and post a list of logs received.
>2) Fix logs manually (those that need fixing - expect a lot)
>3) Check logs (a major process in itself)
>4) Sort for winners and rank
>5) Write and publish results
>
>Anything we can do in #1 to minimize the work in #2 is a good thing.
>
>For log submission, something as simple as this would work well:
><http://www.ncjweb.com/naqplogsubmit.php>http://www.ncjweb.com/naqplogsubmit.php
>If we feel it would help, we could add more user entered data such as which contest period this log is for.  While I'm trying to get individual logs for each time, there will always be a few who ignore.  We will see many variants of "Cabrillo".  We may also see the wrong contest. I typically got one or two CQWW logs as CQP entries every year. Binary logs .. It happens.
>
>Minimum:
>1)  Save all log entries regardless of errors.
>2)  Save each entry to a file on a server.
>    I like FTP since I know how to do that, but other ideas welcome.
>    How to organize file names?  Does a re-submittal wipe out the original log?
>3)  Give the user a "thank you" note to QSL their submission... even if it has errors.
>4)  Discover the call sign.  May be a separate entry window, or look at the CALL:  log line
>5)  Discover which time period this log represents.
>     Store the log in a separate directory for each time period or somehow identify it in the file name.
>6)  Discover power category.
>7)  Discover operator call if not the same as station call.
>
>Not required, but desirable:
>1)  Check the file to see if it's in "sort of" Cabrillo form:
>     not sure exactly what to look for. Any errors found here can be fed back to the entrant and (hopefully) they will fix and re-submit.
>     This can include reading one QSO: line and see if the data fields are readable (logical).
>     The more that can be done here, the less "log fixing" we have to do later.
>     Log checking will require only the QSO data: (Time, Band, S_Call, S_NR, S_Name, R_Call, R_NR, R_Name)
>2)  Check the file and extract a claimed score. This can be used to post on a "logs submitted" page (or not).
>3)  what else?
>

>Well, this is a start.

> [...]

www.gulftrackservices.com
Don Greenbaum