[Cwo] Update needed

Alan Maenchen ad6e at arrl.net
Thu Dec 1 11:30:16 PST 2011

I'll give you my personal view.

In CWO packet was a loser.  Well, not so much a loser, but ineffective
since almost no one was posting spots. Had folks been posting spots that
might change things.  Skimmer was useful for at least a couple of people
(including Hank) who told me about it.  K5OT was adamant against it.

Personally, I think technology such as Skimmer is an advance on the state
of the art .. especially if it's a local Skimmer running on your own
station.  Global Skimmer (or packet) is a different matter as that is
direct assistance from others. In CWO, I can see how it can help.

On a positive note, most of the CWO Session winners did not use any form of
assistance .. or at least they didn't claim to.  That brings up the other
side of the coin;  a ban on packet/skimmer is unenforceable.

Let's wait for a month or so before making any decisions about this. I want
to see if there is any ground swell of support/opposition from the
populace.

Alan