[Cwo] [cwops] CWops - where is it going?

Alan Maenchen ad6e at arrl.net
Mon Aug 15 10:02:58 PDT 2011

Hi Dave,

Good point.  For CWO (the only event I can speak to), maybe we should
include VHF. My feeling is that there would be very little activity.
However, that should not mean banning it. We want to be inclusive. Maybe
next year we can open this up and include VHF.

In the CA QSO Party (which I am deeply involved with behind the scenes), we
see less than 100 QSOs on 6 and 2 meters .. mostly SSB and FM. Compare that
with 600,000 QSOs total. VHF has been part of CQP for many years. I'd love
to see more VHF CW activity.

I don't want to throw cold water on VHF, but that seems to be the reality
here in the US. Maybe that's because the vast majority of hams in the US
(and elsewhere?) don't know code, and they are mostly "shack-on-the-belt"
types. Sounds like a job for CW Academy!

73, Alan  AD6E
CWO Contest Manager