[ARDF] ARDF and Orienteering App

Charles Scharlau charles.scharlau at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 08:46:05 PDT 2013

The Map-n-Compass app is now available in the App Store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/map-n-compass/id691748599?ls=1&mt=8

*This app is for Apple iOS products only, and requires an iOS product with
GPS.* If it proves popular we will explore adding Android support.

The app is, as far as I can determine, the only app available that lets you
fully participate in orienteering and ARDF activities with no other
accessories. It provides a simulated receiver and transmitters, displays
the course and map, and even lets you create and share courses within the
app. It records your track and the bearings you take, and lets you "replay"
them in Google Earth afterward. Multiple skill levels help beginners and
provide challenge for experts.

The app contains a sample orienteering map covering the *practice area* that
will be used for the Thirteenth USA and Seventh IARU Region II ARDF
Championships 8-13 Oct 2013. This will allow app users to try the app with
a local map while attending the event. (Everyone in attendance will have
access to the same map - so there will be no advantage given to app owners!)

The app is priced at $10. But we will provide a *promotional code allowing
a free download* to the following persons:

1. All registered entrants in all Region II & USA ARDF Championships
events, plus all volunteers, organizers, and visitors to those events. This
is retroactive to all Region II & USA Championships events held to date,
and includes those attending the event in North Carolina this year.

2. Any current Backwoods Orienteering Klub member.

3. All registered app beta testers for Map-n-Compass.

*To receive your promotional code you must contact me and I will email it
to you:*
*support at digitalconfections.com*

*Note:* all codes expire after 28 days - sorry, we cannot renew or replace
them.

Feel free to distribute this email, or pertinent sections of it, to others
who might be interested.

73,
Charles
NZ0I