[ARDF] ARDF Digest, Vol 101, Issue 3

Tony Langdon vk3jed at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 12:32:10 PST 2012

At 07:09 AM 1/4/2012, Vadim Afonkin wrote:
>Did another compass test with my prototype app
>on ios 4.0.1 iPhone 4. I was taking a bearings
>from about 1k away to TX and cross bearings were
>beetween 50-75 meters off. Which is not bad for
>built in compass. But I had no receiver or any
>metal objects with me and was pointing iphone
>across 1k wide lake to noticable feature from
>different locations. Just an update. Sent from
>iPhone Jan 3, 2012, × 15:00, ardf-

I haven't given the iPhone compass a real test
yet.  I'm in a position to try my iPhone 3GS
(running iOS 4.3.1) and the iPhone 4S running iOS
5.0.1 against a good old fashioned orienteering compass. :)

I'm well aware of the sensitivity of the iPhone's
compass to nearby magnetic fields, I was able to
use it to "measure" the throttle setting while
riding on the electric trams in Melbourne,
because the amount of  variation from magnetic
north was quite predictable according to the
amount of power the tram's DC motors were drawing. :)

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com