[ARDF] 80m antenna patterns: Sense v. No Sense...

Bruce brucep at netspace.net.au
Thu May 12 20:31:37 PDT 2011

> On 5/12/11 10:14 AM, Matthew Robbins wrote:
>> I'm looking for a simple explanation of how a sense antenna works.
>>
>> Does a simple explanation exist? (It's for a presentation, so words or
>> pictures in any combination are okay.)
>>
>> I gave an ARDF presentation the other day, and, although no one asked me, I
>> was worried someone was going to ask, "How does that work?"
>>
>> My answer was going to be, "I have no idea."  (I have some vague idea that
>> there is an E- and and H-component that are somehow balanced to null one of
>> the lobes and produce a one-peak, one-null cardiod pattern.  Or something.)
>> If there is no other way, even some equations would be okay.
> Nothing special about E and H really.
>
> The two peaks of the loop are out of phase with each other.  The omni
> antenna will be additive with one peak and subtractive with the other
> depending on the wiring of the loop.
>
> The gain of the sense antenna is variable within the front-end of the
> receiver, typically with a trimpot or selected resistor.  It's a
> set-and-forget adjustment, not tweaked during normal operation.  When
> the sense antenna is enabled it is coupled to the receiver input with
> gain equal to that of the loop.  Its signal is equal and opposite of
> that from the out-of-phase side of the loop, which cancels (nulls)
> signals coming from that direction.  It adds to signals coming from the
> in-phase side of the loop resulting in a cardioid pattern.
>
> Matching gain is critical in having an effective sense setup, as is the
> isolation of the sense antenna when it is switched off.

Good explanation. I'll add a couple of titbits Matthew casn ignore to
keep it simple.
I believe the H and E components are 90Deg out of phase, so one of the
functions of the network at the bottom of the sense antenna is to shift
an extra 90 Deg so you end up with 180 Deg. I read this somewhere but
can't recall if it is accurate so maybe someone can confirm ?

Another thing I think handy to think of when you are tuning up these
things and looking at the pattern (I do this on the foxhunt rotator and
look at polar plots) is where you are starting from and aiming to get
to. A bi-directional loop has a figure-8 pattern. As you start to add
sense with the correct 180Deg, one of the loops of the 8 starts to get
smaller. The other gets a little larger (Hint: don't mark which way is
forward till you've tuned the sense!). As you add more sense you get
something that looks like those fractal patterns with a tiny loop and a
large loop (slightly squashed circle). Note the big circle is not around
the origin but mostly off in the 'peak' direction side.
If the sense isn't at the right phase exactly, you end up with skewing
and not good cancellation. You can tweak the sense tuning a bit, or very
minor tweaks to the main loop tuning can help by moving around the
resonance and ending up at a different phase compared to the sense.

As you add more sense the little loop 'turns inside out' and starts to
move 'inside' the big loop. what you end up with in effect is a null.
You now have a perfect cardioid pattern. The peak is wide; wider than
you started with the figure 8 because this circle has 'swallowed' one up
its rear end.

When using a loop in uni-directional mode, don't rely on the null for
directions. This is because the sense tuning relys on an exactly
vertically polarised signal from the transmitter getting to your sense
antenna. This rarely happens in practice. Eirther the TX isn't vertical,
or it has come around/over a hill to you and the polaisation has changed
a bit. So what you end up with is towards that earlier phase of tuning
above; one big circle and one tiny little one. The null has in fact
become two nulls each side of the little circle, and these are not
180Deg away from the peak ! (nor 90deg either...just somewhere vaguely
backwards, probably asymetric).

Because I foxhunt in the car with a polar plot, I can see the whole
pattern and make a good guess, but if hand rotated or handheld you can't
'see' this quickly so you could end up going off at 30Deg to where you
wanted if you follow a fake null. Many turn off the sense and use the
nice narrow (and accurate) nulls in the figure-8 to get a good
direction, but I prefer to just use the peak all the time.

--
Cheers,
Bruce