[ARDF] [abqthunt] Pre event training camp

Kevin Nichols kcnicho at comcast.net
Mon Apr 11 06:57:28 PDT 2011

Hi Jerry,

See my responses below.

- Kevin

  _____

From: abqthunt at yahoogroups.com [mailto:abqthunt at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of Gerald Boyd
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:38 PM
To: abqardf at yahoogroups.com; ardf at kkn.net; ardfteamusa at yahoogroups.com;
abqthunt at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [abqthunt] Pre event training camp

All,

 We need to conduct  a pole to see who is interested in attending a
pre-event training camp before the 2011 region II ARDF championships.

 Some folks have asked that we provide this option.

 The issues are:

 Most of our volunteers are already committed to the main event  and it
would be difficult to ask them to take additional time off within the work
week to support a training camp.

 Depending on how much vacation time I have left after taking some time off
for my anniversary.  I'd say my chances of attending the training camp would
be about 70% to 80%.

Questions are:

 1.       First how many persons  are interested in attending a 2 day
training camp?

1.       The first day would be VHF practice and the 2nd day would be HF
practice.

I would be interested, with the caveat above.

2.       If interested would you be willing to

1.       Chip in on the group site rental. This would give us a shelter and
facilities ~ 70 per day for the entire site divided by number of attendees.
2 days = 140 divided by number of attendees. + 3 per day for map printing.
If we had 12 attendees that would be ~11.60 + 6 or ~ 17.60 per person for
the two days to rent the group site and provide maps.

The ~$20 for two days seems reasonable.  What are the specifics of the
shelter.  Is this a covered picnic area?  Is it actually a bunk house with
places to sleep?  Is it a cleared area in the woods?  Would we still need to
bring our own tents or other sleeping accommodations?

2.       Help extract transmitters at the end of the day

Yes

3.       Help set a transmitter

Yes

4.       Monitor the group site while other volunteers are placing
transmitters in the field

Yes, if there were more than one monitor (having at least a couple people is
probably a good thing)

5.       Provide basic instructions to new comers

Yes

2.       Do we want to consider a pot luck dinner at the group site at the
end of the day? Hotdogs and hamburgers etc on the grill. If so would you be
willing to help chip in on supplies. Help cook etc.

While that would be fine, it is also OK if I need to bring my own food.  At
least having water available for the whole group would be nice.

3.       First starts would be around noon. Would provide time to set course
based on small amount of volunteers. Basic training for newcomers could be
conducted before starts by volunteers while transmitters are being set.

 If we had the camp, the dates would be September 14th and 15th.

I have no specific plans for those dates right now, however, we have an
anniversary near then, and there's an outside chance of a conflict should we
choose to go on an extended trip.

 Assumptions are that everyone attending would provide own transport to the
group shelter location ( via rental car, car pool etc) and provide own
accommodations.  The event center hotel could be used via the on line
booking.

 Please respond ASAP so that we can decide soon if we can or cannot provide
a pre event training camp.

Sorry about the "ASAP"...

Any fees for a training camp are separate from the championships.

73's

Jerry Boyd WB8WFK

******

Message received regarding a training camp.

I am looking to save a few bucks like $150 or more. Anyone like to go halves
on a double room at the host hotel on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday? I may
also stay Sunday night and fly back on Monday. not sure yet. Let me know.

Still waitibg to see if there is going to be a pre-event training camp which
may change hotel dates.

Bob, WA6EZV

ARDF at kkn.net

__._,_.___

<mailto:wb8wfk at covad.net?subject=Re%3A%20Pre%20event%20training%20camp>  to
sender | Reply
<mailto:abqthunt at yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Pre%20event%20training%20ca
mp>  to group | Reply
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/abqthunt/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJvNTZuZWFxBF9TAzk3Mz
U5NzE0BGdycElkAzUxNzE3MgRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNjMxMDgEbXNnSWQDMzI1OARzZWMDZnRyBH
NsawNycGx5BHN0aW1lAzEzMDE2MTQ2NjM-?act=reply&messageNum=3258>  via web post

U5NzE0BGdycElkAzUxNzE3MgRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNjMxMDgEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbnRwYwRzdG
ltZQMxMzAxNjE0NjYz> Start a New Topic

Messages
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/abqthunt/message/3258;_ylc=X3oDMTMzOWF0MDI0BF
9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUxNzE3MgRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNjMxMDgEbXNnSWQDMzI1OARzZW
MDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEzMDE2MTQ2NjMEdHBjSWQDMzI1OA-->  in this topic
(1)

Recent Activity:

0BGdycElkAzUxNzE3MgRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNjMxMDgEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQM
xMzAxNjE0NjYz> Visit Your Group

zE3MgRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNjMxMDgEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZ2ZwBHN0aW1lAzEzMDE2MTQ2NjM->
Yahoo! Groups

Switch to:
<mailto:abqthunt-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20For
mat:%20Traditional> Text-Only,