[ARDF] [ardfteamusa] Region II ARDF championship organizing committee poll

Matthew Robbins cedarcreek at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 12:00:13 PDT 2011

To me the question that hasn't been answered is, "How important is it for us
to have a car at the hotel?" If it has close access to restaurants and
various stores where walking is possible, as well as a convenient shuttle to
the airport, I don't see any problem with having buses.  But if we need cars
anyway, then the buses are just extra expense on top of what we'll be paying
for cars.  And when we're using the buses, the cars will be just sitting.

I know a lot of people attend together, and share a rental car or
van---Splitting that expense rather than each person having to pay it as
part of the entry fee.

The last time I attended in Albuquerque, we rented a van and drove from
Cincinnati.  With all the luggage out of the van we had space for 2 or 3
more people.

As spread out as Albuquerque is, and considering the various sightseeing and
restaurant experiences around town, I'm pretty confident that rental cars
are the way to go; that is, that buses are a poor value.  I think most
people don't consider the cost of the entire trip, and having a big upfront
entry fee will reduce entries, even though some people may end up paying
more for the total package including the rental car.  But the rental car has
a lot of utility---it's convenient, and it gives a lot of flexibility.

Now if the hotel is really well located, like in a University area, or down
by Old Town, or next to a mall or something, the math may be different.

Every year at Orienteering Cincinnati's Flying Pig A-Meet, one of the guys
in our club calls all over town to various van rental companies---Other than
showing up to help during the event, this is his only volunteer job, and
believe it or not, it is a great service to our club.  This year we got a
big cargo van (just 2 seats) for just a little over $200 for three days,
with unlimited mileage.  We only put 53 miles on it, but if we get a lot of
people without cars, one of these vans with seats would be about 200/9 = $22
each for 9 people---for three days.  (And that's with the walk-away-from-it
insurance.)

My recommendation is to assume a fairly normal turnout, and make the entry
fee as low as possible to encourage first timers.  A month or two before the
event, see where we stand and see if we can get rides for people who need
it.

Finally---I really haven't heard of any organizers who lost money.  We were
really close last year, but we came out ahead about $100.  I would consider
donating after the fact to help clear a negative balance, but we need to
know about it.

Matthew
Cincinnati