[ARDF] ARDF - an app for that? Getting there!

Charles Scharlau charles.scharlau at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 17:41:57 PDT 2010

In case others are interested in my reply to Tony, I've copied it below.

Hello Tony,

Thank you for the note. Yes, the SoftRocks seem to work reasonably well with
this app. Pictured on the home page of digitalconfections.com is a SoftRock
v6.2 <http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/> Lite 80m connected to an iPod touch. (The
signals shown are recorded however, since it would have been difficult to
get a nice spectrum display with such a simple set-up.)

There is not currently any way to make adjustments for tweaking phase
difference between I and Q. And iSDR does not currently do it automatically.
So there will be some "image signal" issues with some detectors, I'm sure. I
haven't found them to be an issue with my simple setup.

Regarding suitability for ARDF, I think that eventually ARDF will need to
enter the 21st century. It won't be long before SDR receivers will be the
norm, and a cheaper option to boot, I predict. I think there will be
technological solutions to address concerns about using built-in GPS, maps,
etc. For instance, with iPhone OS 4.0, and Android (both support
multitasking), you could have a "monitor" application required to run
continuously in the background. The monitor app could provide a report to
the organizers following the competition, indicating whether the cell phone,
GPS, or other disallowed technologies were enabled or accessed during the
time span of the competition. The monitor program could actually utilize the
GPS to record the user's track, which could then be downloaded after the
event, and used to check for "following", or entering out-of-bounds areas.
In that way computer radios might someday help bring more fairness back into
the sport of ARDF. But the rules committee will need some serious
convincing, I'm sure.

Thanks for trying out the app. I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know if
you have ideas for improving it.

73,
Charles
NZ0I

  2. Re: ARDF - an app for that? Getting there! (Tony Langdon)