[ARDF] Fun and Frustration

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Sep 24 23:51:21 PDT 2009

ka5cvh wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Tony Langdon <vk3jed at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I agree, ARDF is the real radio sport.  Contesting is
>> contesting.  It's a competition, not a sport where physical activity
>> is involved. :)
>
> Mike wrote
>
> But amateur radio is a "Contact sport" :-)
>
> Seriously, I interpret "radio sport" to encompass contesting whether
> at a HF multi-multi station or a modest home station.  It could be
> V/UHF roving or moon-bounce.

I would define that as a contest, not a sport.  Working the rare DX in a
pileup is somewhat like being the tenth caller to the top-40 AM radio
station with the right answer to the trivia question.  Exciting,
competition, fun, but not a sport.

Shame on the ARRL for this month's QST with a theme of "Radio sport" and
zero mention of even the existence of ARDF.

> And make no mistake while I will exert an
> enormous amount of energy doing classic orienteering and ARDF you can
> not call my activity a sport.

Sure it is.  How is a foot race not a sport?

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net