[ARDF] Growing ARDF, was Re: Fun and Frustration

Marvin Johnston marvin at west.net
Tue Sep 22 08:52:03 PDT 2009

Many thanks to those of you who posted your thoughts; there were a lot
of good points brought up! To get new people involved (and people to
return as well) in ARDF, we need to have an idea of why we are not
getting more success, hence the question.

I'm not sure what the optimum time is to have events, but monthly seems
to be the minimum where at least some people stay involved.

Something that has been on my mind for a while now is to create an
online training program that could serve as an introduction to ARDF (and
other types of transmitter hunting as well.) This would also serve as a
way to get people involved on a more regular basis where physically
meeting is impractical.

One thing I see over and over, especially with young kids, is the
inability to recognize the sounds of when the 2M antenna is pointing
towards or away from the transmitter. Let's not even go into
reflections, or airplane flutter, or ??? ... yet :).

The one video I am still really impressed with is the one done at the
N.C. US ARDF Championships by Gary Pierce with the video microphone put
into the headset. This allowed the actual sound of what we are searching
for to come through the audio.

Another useful demonstration was at the 1999 Dayton Hamvention where Joe
Legio, WB2HOL, demonstrated antenna polarization with his Tape Measure
Beam and whoopie mode receiver.

And I still remember the conversation with Jiri Marichek (sp?) from the
Czech Republic where he and his team would work each weekend developing
kids to participate in orienteering and ARDF.

These types of things could be put onto video and offered as a training
course. Topics I've thought about include the basics of ARDF, putting on
an ARDF event, and training exercises along with a long list of others.

What questions/skills do you think would be important to include in such
a training?

On the topic of growing ARDF, I noticed from an earlier post that Vadim
is putting on weekend hunts:

**********

I am not sure if everyone knows, we have active on-foot ardf fox hunts
almost every weekend in Boston area.

Visit website for more imformation www.bostonardf.org and register if
you are interested.

73!

Vadim
KB1RLI

I'm rather excite to hear about that and I'll be VERY interested to see
the results!

Marvin, KE6HTS