[ARDF] Fun and Frustration

Bill Noyce wbnoyce at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 11:53:57 PDT 2009

Coming late to this discussion, but I would agree that simpler
equipment is better.
In the R2 championships, I used a home-built version of Dale's
direct-conversion receiver for 80m, and never felt  the equipment was
holding me back (though I've had a fair amount of practice using it).
For 2m, I used a 3-element measuring-tape Yagi and 1-MHz offset
attenuator jury-rigged to my regular HT: a Kenwood TH-F6A which can
receive AM, CW, & SSB as well as transceive FM.  Most of the time this
combo led me straight to the control, and for the one control I had
trouble with, I'm not sure what would have helped besides X-ray
vision.  Certainly my own physical conditioning was far more of an
impediment than any deficiencies in the equipment.

PS - my total investment for both bands was well under $100, not
counting the HT I already owned.
  -- Bill, AB1AV