[ARDF] Question about 2m frequencies for ARDF

Dale Hunt WB6BYU wb6byu at arrl.net
Mon Nov 16 18:40:07 PST 2009

The official range used by Region 1 (Europe and Africa) is 144.5 to
144.9 MHz,
which is not particularly convenient to our repeater band plan.  (I
have, however,
used a 2m repeater pair for a competition before, with permission of
the owner
and/or after ensuring that it would not cause interference.)

While there may be some homemade receivers that only tune a restricted
range
of frequencies for various reasons, you can generally expect receivers
to cover
144 - 146 MHz.  The 145.8 - 146 range is discouraged because it is
used for
satellite operation.  As long as you publish the frequency in advance,
those
with narrow-tuning receivers can adjust them accordingly.

The biggest issue is strong signals near the frequencies - the older
European
Sets have a pretty wide IF bandwidth and will respond to signals several
hundred kHz off frequency if they are strong.  Here in Oregon we have a
number of packet radio links operating in the 145.5 - 145.8 MHz band
that
sometimes cause problems.

	- Dale  	WB6BYU