[ARDF] ARDF Trends

Marvin Johnston marvin at west.net
Wed Jul 15 20:09:12 PDT 2009

When talking to orienteers, I generally use the term radio-orienteering,
but also add ARDF so they have at least heard the term.

Bruce, I think you were with us when we were talking to Jiri in the
Czech Republic about how he got kids involved. I really liked the idea
of having a team of people getting together once a week on Saturday to
teach orienteering and ARDF.

Part of the problem has been mentioned previously ... it is too easy to
sit in front of the tube and go mindless.

Another part is the "build it and they will come" mentality which
doesn't seem to work with ARDF.

One thing Joe and I have done is to hold antenna workshops where people
can buy a kit that includes the tape measure beam and offset attenuator.
We have the tools and help for them to build it, learn how to use it,
and then go out on a course. This seems to be working relatively well,
and while slow, we are getting new people involved.

At the last orienteering meet, I showed a couple of orienteers how to DF
on 2M with the tape measure beam and Bryan's receiver. After
demonstrating the technique, one of them took a MicroHunt transmitter
and hid it maybe 50M away. The success the first person had finding it
caused the second person to try it out. Both had fun and are looking for
meets in their area.

I don't think a once-a-month event is enough to get/keep people
interested, so more frequent events would probably help.

I can hardly wait to go back to being a professional bum so I'll have
time to do more :).

Marvin, KE6HTS