[ARDF] GPS devices

Tony Langdon vk3jed at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 14:31:57 PST 2008

At 07:53 AM 2/24/2008, Dale Hunt WB6BYU wrote:
>If this was a concern, I suppose the GPS receiver could be
>sealed in a Tyvec envelope for the duration of the hunt.
>That would allow it to record the route without being
>usable for navigation without breaking the seal.

Another alternative, which I'm trialling for rogaining, where there
is an explicit no GPS rule (and GPSs there could potentially aid
someone more) is a GPS logger.  I have a QSTARZ BT-Q1000, which I
carry with me on those events.  It only has a function switch and an
indicator light, but it is capable of logging up to almost 24 hours
(determined experimentally, but down from the 32 hour claim from the
manufacturer) of GPS data.

After an event, the data is downloaded to a PC using a USB cable.

Only downside for events like ARDF is a suitable pouch to carry it in
would need to be made (in rogaining, we carry packs, which have all
sorts of suitable nooks and crannies for the logger).

I agree though, being able to download your tracks after an event is
fantastic for the post event analysis.

A word on usefulness in competition, there is one place where a GPS
could offer an unfair advantage to some competitors, and that's in
determining the distance covered on a segment of the course.  While
experienced orienteers/ARDFers can use map features, elapsed time or
pace counting (or more than one of the above), someone with less
skill can get a similar result using the GPS, by taking note of the
distance covered on the display (which has 10 metre resolution and
usually good accuracy on my Forerunner 201).  I would consider that
unfair, because that's one area where getting it right or wrong can
make a big difference to one's performance.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com