[ARDF] VK3YNG Mk 4 vs. L-Per

Peter Devanney pdevanney at rogers.com
Thu Mar 29 15:52:16 PST 2007

Hello Group,

First of all, if this is not the appropriate forum, please accept my apologies for the QRM, let me know and I will respect the groups wishes. If it is, I have a few questions on the relative merits of DFing with the  YNG Mk4 Sniffer and the L-Per (the xtal version, not the new one) on AM (121.5)

In addition to some foxhunting, I do a fair amount of training with our local volunteer air search and rescue team in pursuit of (mostly) training practice beacons (ELTs).

We use the L-per with the quad antennas on the truck. On foot we use the big cross.

I have read many accolades for the VK3YNG sniffer in foxhunting and ARDF work. I am curious if there are any on the list with experience DFing ELT's with this device. If so, would they be willing to comment on the relative advantages and disadvantages versus the L-per. I am trying to find a more portable set-up for foot work DFing ELTs.

Finally, out of curiosity,  has anyone used (or heard of someone using) the Mk4 sniffer from an aircraft?

Thanks and 73

Peter
VA3YOW