[ARDF] Available Receivers

Marvin Johnston marvin at rain.org
Fri Jul 14 21:13:14 PDT 2006

Hi Dave,

Glad to see you are getting back into hunting! I'm not familiar with Washington,
but there are a couple of people up that way interested in transmitter hunting.
Hopefully, some of them on the list will respond to your message.

It is hard to say what equipment is appropriate not knowing what your
capabilities are. Are you interested in high performance equipment, something to
get started with, is cost a concern, are you a builder, etc.?

On the 80M side of things, I still have a couple kits of the 80M receiver that
Dale Hunt, WB6BYU (and also on this list) designed and was published in the
September 2005 issue of QST. You can get more info at
http://www.rain.org/~marvin/. There are also links to 2M and 80M equipment I've
found on the web.

There are a number of us going over to Bulgeria in September for the World ARDF
Championships, and there are usually some 2M and 80M receivers available for
sale (about $150 USD 2 years ago.) I and several others on the list use the
Ukranian 80M receiver and have been *very* happy with it.

On the 2M side of things, it really depends on what your preferences are. Mine
is for analog tuning where I control the gain control. Others prefer the VK3YNG
receiver that was designed by Bryan Ackerly over in Australia. I tried it and
didn't like it for ARDF, but it would be *wonderful* for mobile hunts. I need to
add that I seem to have a minority opinion with regards to using his receiver
for ARDF with regard to others that have tried it :). His site is
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/vk3yng/foxhunt/foxhunt.html/.

On the low cost side of things, many people have used the WB2HOL Tape Measure
Beam including a number of people on the US ARDF team. Using it in conjunction
with an offset attenuator allows someone who already owns or has access to a 2M
HT to get started for about $25 to $30.

Good luck!

Marvin, KE6HTS