[ARDF] TRO-2 ARDF transmitters...

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Mon Feb 27 08:08:44 PST 2006

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 11:58:14AM -0800, Marvin Johnston wrote:

> Take a look at:
>
> http://www.west.net/~jay/turnstile.html

Jen and I have built eight of these antennas and they work fine.

Our variation of this design is to use:

4 ea. 8-32 x 1" round-head machine screws (in place of 3/4" long)
4 ea. aluminum arrow shafts cut to length with Dremel tool (in place of
  1/8" diameter uncoated bronze welding rod and 8-32 1" long hex spacers)

We figured the arrow shafts would look cool and would be easier to deal with
than figuring out how to (a) find the hex spacers and rods and (b) bond them
together.  We discovered, however, that:

* Not all aluminum arrows use aluminum threading for the arrow heads - some
  have plastic inserts.

* The threading starts quite a ways inside from the end of the arrow - this
  means that the machine screw sticking out of PVC needs to be longer.  With a
  1.25" PVC cap, the longest screw you can possibly work through is 1", and
  that was just marginally long enough for the arrows to have enough threading
  to catch.  If I were doing it over, I'd use a 1.5" PVC cap and 1.25" long
  screws.

* Arrows will stand up well to abuse, should result in a more broadbanded
  antenna, and with the appropriate end cap should really not pose much
  risk to eye damage, but they're not as cheap as other element material.

All of our antennas have a SWR between 1.3:1 and 1.4:1 or so.  This
doesn't seem to be a big deal in practice.