[ARDF] Montreal fox controllers

Dale Hunt, WB6BYU wb6byu at arrl.net
Sat Feb 18 08:33:28 PST 2006

   Jennifer -

       Hope you saw the other messages on this topic that had
   a different subject line.

       Rather than a fuse on the battery, I prefer to use one
   of the new PTC termisters, designed as a "solid state,
   automatically-resetable fuse replacement".  These look like
   a big disk capacitor or MOV, and come in different current
   ratings.  I use the 2.5 amp ones in some of my boxes:  when
   the current exceeds that value, the thermister shuts down and
   allows just a trickle of current to pass.  When the fault is
   cleared, the thermister resets itself.  This means that the
   field crews don't need to carry spare fuses.  Meanwhile, the
   FAR Circuits boards are set up for two power sources, so you
   can put a 9V back up battery on just the controller that will
   keep it running if the main power is interrupted.  When the
   main power is available it gets used instead.

       And I certainly agree with the idea of using NP0 or C0G
   rated capacitors for C1 and C2 - these have the best temperature
   stability.  Sometimes you can find trimmer capacitors with this
   rating.

       - Dale WB6BYU