[ARDF] Drinking habit

Ewald & Helga Stadler dj2ue at t-online.de
Tue Apr 25 08:10:10 PDT 2006

Hello ARDF friends, I like to comment the drinking story. I do ARDF, OL and
also marathons. Last year I finished my 30th marathon. In Runners magazines
it was published that a body can only digest 0.25 liters every half
hour, more
puts the kidneys to work and one has to urinate. I always drink about
0.25 Liters
before I start the marathon or any race longer than 2 hours.
It is much better to get a belt with little bottles with 0.15 to 0.25
Liters.
Also it was reported that people have died do to drinking poor water.
A runner should always add about a teaspoon salt to a 1 liter (quarter)
water.
Greetings. Ewald DJ2UE

Regarding the 3L of water---It's 1.5 to 2 L.  In Albuquerque, I used
2L, probably because of the dry air (and all the extra breathing due
to the thin air).  In Raleigh, I think I did 1.5L before my start on
both days.

In Albuquerque, I needed water at the finish.  In Raleigh, I didn't
feel like I needed water, but I drank the electrolyte drink anyway.
The banana at the finish was great, too.

Also, it wasn't water---It's a sports drink called Gookinade
Hydralyte.  It was developed by Bill Gookin, an orienteering and
marathon runner.  He analyzed his sweat and made a drink to replace
what he was losing.  I think it's a lot better than water.  If I drink
too much water, I get a headache.  I just feel better when I drink
this before I run.

Matthew
Cincinnati