[ARDF] Region 1 Champs 80m results...

Dale Hunt, WB6BYU wb6byu at arrl.net
Thu Sep 8 20:40:40 PDT 2005

Matthew Robbins wrote:

> Today's courses are weird:
> I'm assuming the map will tell the story on these.  I've certainly
> never seen a course with all the distances matched so closely.  There
> must be big climb or something on some of these.

     Usually having the distances so similiar means that the
     transmitters were pretty much in a (relative) line along
     the course.  For example, W21 running 3-5-1-2 was only 180m
     longer than W50 running 3-1-4.  So doing some quick trig,
     (and making some assumptions) #5 might have been 300m
     to the side of the course between  #3 and #1 if they were far
     enough apart.  But basically everyone ran the same course
     through the transmitters, with minor deviations to pick up
     the transmitters they needed to get.

     Actually, doing a similar analysis on all the transmitters,
     it looks to me as though they had a starting point and a
     good finish that were 6km apart, and arranged the transmitters
     on either side of a straight line between the two.  We'll
     see when the map gets published.

     This is generally not considered a good arrangement, as there
     are few route choices to make.  But it might be the best they
     could do, given the available start and finish locations.
---
[This E-mail Scanned for viruses by OnlineNW.com]