[ARDF] Region 1 Champs 144MHz results...

Dale Hunt, WB6BYU wb6byu at arrl.net
Tue Sep 6 21:07:57 PDT 2005

Matthew Robbins wrote:

> The only one that really stands out to me (and remember I have little
> experience in this area...) is W50 being 6.5km and M60 being 4.5km.  I
> almost expected M19 to be longer than M40.  And W35 is the same length
> as W21 and M40.   W19 seemed really short, until I saw the winning
> time was 77 minutes---And M50, the same course, had a winning time of
> 58 minutes.  In fact, the *fastest* winning time of all the women was
> W21 at 67 minutes.  I asked them to post a Day 1 map.  Let's see if
> they do.  That might explain the distances better.

    There are always problems sitting the 5 transmitters so all
    of the 9 categories get a good course.  Usually the course
    setter focuses on M21 and M40, and generally younger=further,
    older = shorter, but there are only so many combinations
    of transmitters that this can work for on a course.

    This is why both bands were used on the same day in Brno,
    as it allowed one set of transmitters to be optimized for
    M/W/19/21 and a second set for the older categories.  There
    are some other proposals being discussed, such as having two
    different 2m frequencies in use on the same course, but I
    think the two band solution is a good one and I expect to
    see it used fairly often (until there are further changes...)
    It does require twice the number of jurors and transmitter
    operators, but unless you are using the same controllers for
    both bands it really doesn't require any additional hardware.
    (Oh, and the flags have to be distinct: we had several 80m
    runners coming by our 2m control on the first day, but only
    one got closer than 50m before deciding it was not the one
    that they were looking for.

---
[This E-mail Scanned for viruses by OnlineNW.com]