[ARDF] Fox Box Labelling

Matthew Robbins cedarcreek at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 21:04:40 PDT 2005

Ken,

    I think it makes sense to put on the box a phone number that lets
them get a person right now.  A cell phone is an obvious choice.  Some
of our event sites don't have good cell service, so obviously the cell
phone won't work there.

    At Hamvention earlier this year, we did a little ARDF demo.
Getting park approval took forever.  Anywhere with people traffic
(trails, fields near shelters etc.), I had to agree to put out a
visible control flag, but to attempt to hide the radio gear.  I was
mostly able to do that---I usually kept the flag about 10 feet from
the radio and antenna..  I'm a big believer in low-key, matte
colors---greens, tans, browns, black.  When I started ARDFing, I kept
looking for antennas, especially on rounded terrain features where the
flag would be out-of-sight, but the antenna might be visible.  I've
given up on that.   It's such a low-payoff.  I can't think of a single
time I've seen the antenna first.  Now, I look for orange and white.

Matthew
AA9YH
Cincinnati, Ohio