[ARDF] Piccon mods

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Mon Nov 14 12:34:51 PST 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 11:27:36AM -0800, Jay Hennigan wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:
>
> >      I've modified one of my piccons by desoldering the ceramic resonator
> > and replacing it with a 3.579545 MHz crystal and two small 22pF caps.
> > See my photos:
> >
> > http://www.wm5r.org/piccon/
> >
> >      Unfortunately, the controller is still running slow - at the
> > rate of about 2.3 seconds per hour.  This is an order of magntiude
> > improvement compared to the worst I experienced with the ceramic
> > resonator, but it's still not good enough.
>
> That's 638 parts per million, fairly significant for a crystal.  Have
> you modified more than one PicCon, and if so, how well do the clocks track
> with each other?

I've only modified one piccon so far.

The ceramic resonator is marked as 3.58 whereas the crystal is
3.579545 MHz.

I suppose I should look at the circuit for the "old style" piccons which
also used 3.579545 MHz crystals and see what they used.

> > The IARU rules specify
> > that the maximum deviation of the transmitting periods is only five
> > seconds for the entire competition (which could be eight or nine
> > hours.)
>
> Is that absolute or with respect to each other?

This is the exact wording in the IARU R1 rules, Part B, Appendix A
(http://www.ardf-r1.org/html/ardfrules26b_rev1.htm#BA1):

3.4       The maximum deviation of the transmitting periods is FIVE SECONDS
against the official time during the whole competition. The maximum
transmitting overlap of two transmitters is FIVE SECONDS.

> >      Any ideas?  Should I try changing the caps to a different value?
> > Would I increase the value? (27 pF? higher?)   Decrease the value? (18pF?
> > lower?)  Do I need to add resistance anywhere?
>
> You would go lower to increase the frequency.  I'd try 10 pf or so.  The
> crystal you're using is calibrated for a load capacitance of 18 pF from
> the Mouser catalog.  Theoretically, this would mean that each capacitor
> would be 36 pF as they're considered series connections to the crystal.
> Stray caacitances may be a factor as well.  Also consider that the divisor
> may not be exact.  3.579545 is kind of an oddball number to divide into
> seconds.
>
> See if the circuit will oscillate with the capacitors removed.  It may
> not depending on stray capacitances.  If it does, run it for an hour or
> two and measure the clock drift.  Hopefully it will be on the high side.
> Then you can interpolate the needed value easily between 0 and 22 pF.

I'll try that.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker at kenharker.com