[ARDF] Piccon mods

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Mon Nov 14 10:35:30 PST 2005

     I've modified one of my piccons by desoldering the ceramic resonator
and replacing it with a 3.579545 MHz crystal and two small 22pF caps.
See my photos:

http://www.wm5r.org/piccon/

     Unfortunately, the controller is still running slow - at the
rate of about 2.3 seconds per hour.  This is an order of magntiude
improvement compared to the worst I experienced with the ceramic
resonator, but it's still not good enough.  The IARU rules specify
that the maximum deviation of the transmitting periods is only five
seconds for the entire competition (which could be eight or nine
hours.)

     Any ideas?  Should I try changing the caps to a different value?
Would I increase the value? (27 pF? higher?)   Decrease the value? (18pF?
lower?)  Do I need to add resistance anywhere?

     I am mildly annoyed that I have to do any of this just to get a
timing controller that can keep proper time.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker at kenharker.com
http://www.kenharker.com/