[ARDF] Testing opportunities at large events...

bruce brucep at netspace.net.au
Wed Feb 23 04:07:21 PST 2005

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 20:17, Jay Hennigan wrote:
> > I was really disappointed at the test day in Brno.
> >
> > I've been meaning to ask several things:
> >
> > What other people thought about the test day in Brno?
>
> Other than being given the wrong frequency for the 2m model event, I
> was pleased with it.  There was a map, and the terrain was similar to
> that of the competition.  They also had the E-punch controls for those
> unfamiliar with its use.  The wrong published frequency on 2m was kind
> of a double-whammy for me as I had zero prior experience with the sound
> of AM foxes.  The Aussie Blue Wonder, being synthesized, made it hard
> to tell what was happening other than, "Really weak and distorted, can't
> get a decent bearing, what the heck is going on here?!?!"  Those with
> tunable DF sets probably didn't even notice.

I pretty much agree with Jay here. The map provided was good, accurate and a
good match to the event terrain. I used pacing away from transmitters to
estimate 50m, 100m and 200m. Didn't take long to pace out.
Yes the wrong frequency was a real stinger. Luckily (in a way) I was late to
the practice having had to attend the team leaders briefing. Being totally
confused as to what was going on 2m I spotted Jiri on the trail and was able
to get the real frequencies from him (as he built the TX's he should
know ! ). Re-tune the YNG and it all started making a lot more sense.

> > How that test day compared to other large international events?

Our test morning at Region 3 was more for range checking with the actual
transmitters and showing sport-ident controls rather than an attempt to
provide a model map of the terrain. In this respect Czech Republic was
better. On the other hand we then held a street orienteering event in the
afternoon on a map that actually covered part of the bottom of one of the
event maps (but they didn't know it), so they got to see some of the terrain.

Cheers,
Bruce