[ARDF] 80m Testing in the Park...

Matthew Robbins cedarcreek at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 20:56:41 PST 2005

Jay wrote:

<< It is most useful
in wideband mode as the tone is still very usable when the beat between
the received signal and the BFO is outside of the audible range.  In
congested conditions or when a homing beacon is on a different frequency
this can cause confusion, of course.  In wideband mode, the tone mode
is really the only way to DF a signal that isn't accurately tuned, as
you can't hear it otherwise.>>

This is another thing I never understood about my Ukrainian
radio---The 4kHz/100kHz switch.  In Brno, I did the Park-O, and it's
now clear to me that this 100kHz mode is designed for courses like
that Park-O.

The map was 1:4000, which means the area was quite small by regular
course standards.  Here's how it worked:

There were 6 transmitters on continuously about 15Khz apart.
Different age categories had to find a specific transmitter first.  I
was using the Park-O as a testing opportunity, so I walked the whole
way, and I realized that the tone mode was able to detect the
not-tuned transmitters, but I wasn't able to figure out how to use
tone mode to find them, because I was much more interested in the
crazy direction indications I was getting.  It wasn't as bad as 2m,
because I usually knew when it was happening.  The twin nulls and the
sense peak just didn't work.

Here's an online image of part of the map.

http://www.ffco.asso.fr/philosophie%20sprint_fichiers/Image8.jpg

It's Spilberk Castle, and when I was getting the crazy signals, it was
usually because the T was on the opposite side of the castle, but not
always.  The map was made for a 2002 World Cup Sprint race, and the
quality is amazing.  Look at the green vegetation---Individual plants
are mapped.  The print quality of the map is amazing.

It sure makes a lot of sense now as a way to have a different sort of
ARDF race.  And as a radio designed for races like that.

Matthew