[ARDF] Competitions for W15 and M15?

Matthew Robbins cedarcreek at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 22:22:44 PST 2005

I was just looking at the ARDF Region 1 website, and I noticed the
Junior Championships for this summer.  They are limited to competitors
born after 1990.

I did a search for the junior rules, and found them here:

http://www.ardf-r1.org/html/ardfrules26b_rev1.htm#BA6

So my question is this:  Why shouldn't we have W15 and M15 categories?

Here's what they say:

Y19.4  Course lengths shall be given as the length of a straight line
from the start line via the transmitters in optimum order to the
finish line. They should range from THREE to FIVE kilometers for the
D15 category and FOUR to SIX kilometers for the M15 category. The
number of transmitters which are to be searched for shall not exceed
the length of the course in kilometers.

Y25.6  Transmitters shall be searched for by each category as follows:

·         M15 category shall search for three to all five transmitters.

·         W15 category shall search for three to four transmitters.

          The transmitters which are not to be searched for are
determined by the siting referee.

It sounds like the intent is to set courses specifically for M/W 15
and to not use the same courses for the older categories, but it
appears to me that the intent was also to allow both youth categories
to use three Ts of an adult course. (?)

Me, personally: I would like the US Champs to include a 2 or 3
Transmitter course for M/W 15.  If we start getting many competitors
in the class, in the future, we could even set both 2m and 80m at the
same time to simplify the course design.  (To remove constraints on
the coursesetter---It's hard enough to design five locations that meet
all nine of the current age categories.)

Matthew
Cincinnati, Ohio