[ARDF] GPS on course?

Dale Hunt, WB6BYU wb6byu at arrl.net
Thu Aug 11 21:18:59 PDT 2005

We had a discussion about the GPS issue after the 80m course.
One of the problems is that, as GPS receivers become integrated
into other equipment (like the Forerunner), it is less easy
for the Organizers to be familiar with the capabilities of
each possible piece of equipment that a competitor might use.
So, from an enforcement standpoint, the rule must be plain
and understandable, even to those with a limited common
language.

But I also agree that recorded course information can be a
very valuable learning tool.  One thought I had would be
to prohibit the use of GPS data (in any form) while on the
course while giving the organizers or the head of the jury
the latitude to allow them for recording purposes.  For
example, a unit could be put in a sealed opaque envelope
with the understanding that the competitor would be
disqualified if the envelope were opened on the course.

For fairness, any permitted uses/procedures/approval
methods should be announced in advance, and the information
be made available to all competitors after the event.
One reason for leaving the implementation details up to
the organizers/jury is so they can be updated/changed to
accomodate new devices that come on the market.  Also
the organizers can decide whether they are up to the
logistics of keeping track of all the units, competitors,
etc.  If the organizers say, "NO", then that is the final
answer.

Of course, we also need to make it clear to all
competitors that any GPS receiver will immediately get
them thrown out of a championship event in any other
Region, as would taking a HT or cell phone on the
course (or even having one in the start area.)

   - Dale WB6BYU

PS:  I want to make it clear that these are my personal
     thoughts to add to the discussion, not any sort of
     statement of Region II policy or rulemaking.
---