[ARDF] Ideas for 2006 USA ARDF Championships

Dick Arnett darnett at stelizabeth.com
Tue Aug 9 18:51:56 PDT 2005

Charles and Nadia already have the the two-meter keyed-carrier amplitude
modulation transmitters.

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 01:48, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 10:22:58PM -0400, cscharlau at earthlink.net
wrote:
> > The two-meter transmitters, including the homing beacon, will
transmit
> > using keyed-carrier amplitude modulation, just like at the ARDF
World
> > Championships.
>
> I think almost every receiver I saw used this year was capable of AM
> reception, so this might only be an issue for newcomers.  If you make
it
> clear that newcomers with equipment needs should still feel free to
sign up
> and we'll work something out, then I don't see any problem.

Can I suggest a compromise that would be easier to implement and should
meet
most people requirements ?
True, the full International rules specify AM, but it is more of a pain
generate.
How about carrier-keying your FM transmissions ? Anyone using a whoopee
(eg
Mk4) sniffer will not know or *care* about the difference. The DF
difficulty
is pretty much identical to AM carrier keyed, but someone can still use
handheld and offset attenuator easily. You can then still use your
existing
FM transmitters (ex-handhelds or whatever) without building new
AM-capable
transmitters. Just an idea....

Cheers
Bruce, (who did find the hunting the continueous carrier FM at
Alberquerque
2001 last time made it artificially easier).