[ARDF] Altai 3,5 battery

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Mon Aug 1 21:16:58 PDT 2005

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:

> Aside from the date of manufacture (December, 1991) I can't really read
> any of the markings on the battery.  It looks possible that the terminals
> are the same as a standard 9V battery (although it is definitely not the
> same shape,) and one of the markings on the side is "B 8,4" but I have no
> idea if that is voltage...  Can anyone help?

The Cyrillic letter that looks like a capital B is pronounced "V",
and it is common for the rest of the world to use a comma for a
decimal point.  That plus the terminal size, shape and spacing would
indicate a 9-volt nominal battery.

Nickel-cadmium cells are roughly 1.2 volts per cell so it would be
likely that it's 8.4 volts (seven cells in series).  Alkaline and
carbon-zinc are roughlt 1.5 volts per cell, so six in series gives
a nominal 9 volts.  "Nine-volt" ni-cads are really 8.4 volts so
that is probably what you have.

Seeing as you have two identical units it might be prudent for you
to use fresh 9-volt alkalines in both so you don't wind up with a
dead battery in the other one halfway through the competition.

Regular 9-volt alkalines seem to last a very long time in 80M
ARDF receivers anyway.  If I were you I'd just switch to alkaline
batteries and forget the rechargeable idea assuming that you can
make conventional alkalines fit mechanically.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/