[ARDF] Ouch!

Bruce brucep at netspace.net.au
Mon Apr 18 21:58:24 PDT 2005

Matthew Robbins wrote:

>Check out the route from 3 to 2.  This is a 2m course.  Wow.  That
>looks like no fun at all.  (I'm certain the approach to 2 is the line
>east of 2, and the exit from 2 is to the north.)
>
>http://www.ardf.no/resultater2004/142_4211t.jpg
>
>Very few people got 4 first.

True !  (Unfortunately for me).
I went up over the hill 3->2 instead of the huge zigzag shown, and
luckily I didn't go as far afield
to the South as this one shows (but I did make a significant westerly
excursion). In 4 minutes you can very quickly
muck up a good route with just one poor bearing.

If we all carried logging GPS's (like the Garmin Forerunners) it could
be very interesting to see the route
afterwards (and also very embarrassing of course).

PS: Oziexporer now includes Garmin Forerunners in it's standard GPS list
so it has support for the track
and you can download waypoints to it. Note that "control" events entered
are not waypoints but "something
else" and they do not appear.
Unfortunately you get all tracks ever stored on the unit rather than
just the lastest unless you actually go
in an delete all the old events !

Cheers,
Bruce