[ARDF] US Championships Results...

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Jun 23 10:01:26 CDT 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:23:34PM -0400, Matthew Robbins wrote:
> > I just noticed these on the LAOC Website:
> >
> > Matthew
> > AA9YH
> >
> > 2m results:
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/6320/la_results/la_results_2004/re_04_0618_ARDF2m_s.html
>
> Points?  Penalties?  Score?  Huh?

The software used is optimized for conventional orienteering.  The routine
or script for ARDF is the same as "score-orienteering", in which competitors
visit as many controls as possible within a fixed time limit.   Each control
is given a point value, which in score-O can be variable based on the
difficulty of reaching each control.  In ARDF, all transmitters required
have the same value.  For the 2m event, it looks like they used 10 points
per control.  It could be any value as long as they're all the same.  For
80m they ised one point per control which is more logical for an ARDF event.

The penalty is a reduction in score if a competitor is over time.  In a
score-O, being over the time limit isn't a total disqualifier, but points
are subtracted (often aggressively) for every minute overtime.  In this
case the penalty was 100% of a competitor's score if overtime at all.

For competitors who are overtime, the raw score is the number of transmitters
found (times ten points for 2m) with a penalty of all of the points, giving
a net score of zero.

The software works great, but its standard printout isn't immediately
in a form that ARDF competitors understand.  For the 80m event it was
tweaked to be a bit more ARDF-friendly.  One point per transmitter, the
transmitters were called "Transmitters" instead of "C" for "Control",
etc.

> > 2m splits:
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/6320/la_results/la_results_2004/re_04_0618_ARDF2m_r.html
>
> I don't understand the note next to Csaba Tiszttarto's splits.

It may have been a manual adjustment.  Note also that the registers at
the transmitters have three-digit numbers.  The last digit is that of the
transmitter, so 201 is MOE (1), 202 is MOI (2), etc. on the splits page.
the number in parentheses next to the control number is the point value,
10 for 2m and 1 for 80m.  You can see each competitor's choice of order
to tackle the transmitters and the time taken to reach each one, which
is a way cool feature that the electronic scoring gives over and above
punches and cards.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/