[ARDF] ARDF events during Hamvention?

Matthew Robbins cedarcreek at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 22:12:17 PST 2004

Several of us here in the Cincinnati area would like to set out an
idea to see if it floats.

Several years ago a group of QRPers (who are hams who build and
operate low-power radios) decided to have a QRP get-together during
the Dayton Hamvention.  Since the Hamvention is three days, Friday to
Sunday, they added on Thursday and decided to call it FDIM, or Four
Days In May. http://www.qrparci.org/fdim64.html

The 2005 Hamvention is on 20-22 May. http://www.hamvention.org/

We want to know if any ARDFers are interested in doing a similar
event.  Dayton is a particularly good place for ARDF due to the two
very active orienteering clubs in the area (MVOC and OCIN), which
means we have a lot of maps.

The FDIM QRP event is quite elaborate, with a small convention in a
hotel, several night activites (a build-a-thon, a vendor night, and
catered banquet with a 1:2 door prize:attendee ratio.)

I don't think there is any way we could justify that, so we're leaning
toward something *much smaller.*

We would like to achieve two things: To promote ARDF among beginners,
and to get experienced ARDFers to attend.

The real attraction is Hamvention, and the two big days are Friday and
Saturday.

To attract experienced ARDFers, we think we need a two-day event with
full-length courses.  We're thinking Day 1 is Thursday (mid-to-late)
and Day 2 is Sunday (early).

For beginners (and non-beginners), we might be able to have some small
events with a start window closing late as 6pm or maybe even 7pm on
Friday and/or Saturday. Light data for 20 May is Sunrise 0617 and
Sunset 2049.

Advertising the event to beginners is a problem.  The Hamvention
"committee" is sometimes difficult to work with (to the extent that
we're considering just doing it and advertising it without them).

Some sort of group dinner at a banquet-style restaurant would be nice.
(But believe it or not, even a completely informal dinner during
Hamvention requires some planning and usually some reservations.)
Maybe one of the small events could be at a park shelter with a large
cooking grill.

At this time we have made no plans or reservations---We're just
testing the water and seeing if there is any interest.

What do you think?  Is the 4-days schedule just too time away from
work?  What would you do different? What, if anything, would it take
to get you to come?  Again, the dates are 19-22 May 2005.

Matthew
AA9YH
Cincinnati, Ohio USA