[ARDF] [FoxHunt] 4th US ARDF Championships Update #1

Marvin Johnston marvin at rain.org
Wed Apr 14 11:18:53 CDT 2004

4th US ARDF Championships Update #1

This year, the Fourth U.S. ARDF Championships will be held in Southern
California, and is being sponsored by the Santa Barbara Amateur Radio
Club and the Los Angeles Orienteering Club. with the headquarters at the
EconoLodge in Gorman, California (about 35 miles north of Los Angeles on
I-5.)

The registration form (PDF file) is now available for download on both
the SBARC web site and the HomingIn web site. Registration will cover
only the costs of the competition (permits, awards, bus, etc.) with
meals and lodging being the responsibility of the competitor with the
exception of the awards banquet Saturday night. A block of rooms has
been reserved at the EconoLodge in Gorman for those of you who would
like to stay at the headquarters location. There are also a number of
campgrounds located within a 20 mile or so radius.

As was done at the 2002 ARDF Championships in Georgia, we are making the
venues public information. The venues that were chosen have excellent
orienteering maps and will provide challenging courses. The reason for
making the maps public information is these venues have been visited a
number of times by California competitors and this is a way to even
things out. The start/finish locations will not be public information.
To encourage early registration, preview maps of the venues will be
included if the registration is postmarked by May 14, 2004. After that,
they will cost $5.00 for the pair including mailing.

The 2M competition will be held at Vasquez Rocks on Friday, April 18, in
Agua Dulce California. Because it can get quite hot, we plan on starting
the competition at 8:30AM so most people can finish before the heat gets
to be too much in the afternoon. In addition, we will have water at each
of the controls. This is also a very scenic area and many movies have
been partially filmed there including Star Trek and The Flintstones.

The 80M competition will be held on Saturday, April 19, at Mt Pinos. Mt
Pinos is situated at about 8000 feet in pine forest type terrain. This
is one of the nicest venues in Southern California for this type of
activity.

Because of limited parking and to keep competitors together for the
start of the competition, everyone will meet at Gorman and take the bus
to the competition area. How to handle lunch has not been decided as of
yet since it is not included in the registration. We are currently
looking into a low cost ($5.00 or less) Santa Barbara Style Tri-Tip BBQ
(tri-tips, beans, salad, garlic bread, drinks) after the 2M competition.

We plan on having a training camp from Saturday, June 12 through
Wednesday, June 16, available for any of the competitors who care to
participate. The most probable venue will be the Travel Town section of
Griffith Park in Los Angeles. This will provide a challenge both
physically and with 2M reflections. More information will be on the web
site as it becomes available.

The latest information as it becomes available will be posted on the
Santa Barbara Amateur Radio Club web site at:
http://www.sbarc.org/ardf/index.shtml
and the HomingIn web site at: http://www.homingin.com

Marvin Johnston, KE6HTS
Chairman, 4th US ARDF Championships