[ARDF] Fuses in foxboxes?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue Sep 30 19:52:45 CDT 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Matthew Robbins wrote:

> I know that mobile rigs sometimes have two fuses, one for red and one for
> black, but I'm not sure I know why.

In a vehicle, it's common to run both power and ground leads direct to
the battery.  The battery is a good filter and a source of substantial
current, so this makes sense.  The radio itself may be mounted to an
ungrounded plastic dashboard, and the coax shield to the antenna only
grounded at the antenna end.  So the radio and antenna lead form a path
from the battery minus to the car chassis.

If the main battery-engine lead were to fail, all of the starting current
would flow through the radio and antenna shield.  Not good.  So the black
ground lead is fused.

> Is there any reason to do that in a fox box?

Not that I can think of.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/