[ARDF] Fuses in foxboxes?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue Sep 30 17:27:21 CDT 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 Charlesscharlau at aol.com wrote:

> 3. Mount an on/off switch in series with the battery's negative terminal, as
> close to the battery terminal as possible. I like to use a key-operated SPST
> switch, like you sometimes find on computers.  This acts as a master power
> switch. You can mount it through the wall of the ammo box so that it is accessible
> from outside the box, yet because it is key operated, it is unlikely to be
> turned off unintentionally, or mischievously!

What I did was to mount a U-bolt as a padlock hasp behind the closing flap
for the lid, elongating the flap hole into a slot for the hasp.  I then
mounted a small rocker switch to the box so that it's covered by the flap
when closed.  This allows you to operate the switch easily for testing but
keeps it secure when the fox is deployed, as the padlock through the hasp
prevents access to the switch.  There's plenty of clearance for most rocker
switches between the flap and the box.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/